Saturday, January 28, 2012

-MUSIC-The Drug in Me is You Review

                                                                         -MUSIC-



"I'm baaaaaaaaaaack!"
This line is from the opening of the second track of Falling in Reverse's debut album, 'The Drug in Me is You'.

A quick recap of what is Falling in Reverse. Well, FiR is the second major band of vocalist Ronnie Radke. Ronnie Radke's first major band was Escape the Fate with a lineup of Monte Money and Omar Espinosa on guitars, Max Green on bass guitar, Robert Ortiz (who strangely looks exactly like Slash) on drums, and Radke on vocals. After releasing their first album, 'Dying is Your Latest Fashion', trouble soon arose.  Radke was filed for a case and was given 5 years of probation and 2 years in prison. Because of this, EtF was forced to kick him out and have Craig Mabbit, former vocalist of Blessthefall, fill in, until he became the permanent vocalist of the band. After serving his sentence, Radke is out with a new lineup of Jacky Vincent and Derek Jones on guitars, Mika Horiuchi on bass guitar, and Ryan Seaman on drums, and with a vengeance with his piercing lyrics and dark melody.

I really admired the lyrics for this album. 'Raised by Wolves' is the opening track and has lyrics that clearly say 'FUCK YOU, ESCAPE THE FATE.' Actually, the whole album implies that exact thought. One of the good things about the lyrics are the catchy lines, such as 'I heard a knock upon my door the other day. I opened it to find Death staring at my face. The feel of mortal-stalking still reverberates. Everywhere I go, I drag this coffin just in case.' and 'What if the Devil was alive? What if God did not exist? So with all due respect, tell me what is death, if life is just a bitch?' Some just tells the story of Radke himself. 'The Westerner' seems to serve as 'The Day I Left the Womb' Pt. II with its story-telling lyrics. More or less, the lyrics are great and can be used to say 'Fuck you' to a person without them knowing it.

Well, I didn't fully appreciate the sound of some of the songs, due to it becoming a bit 'Pop'-ish. It feels so alternative and such. But nevertheless, most of them are still heavy and still Ronnie. Notable ones would  be, 'Don't Mess with Ouija Boards', 'The Westerner', 'Sink or Swim' and 'I'm Not a Vampire'. 'Caught Like a Fly' sounds creepy at first, but builds up to be a very emotional song. Whenever I listen to it, it never fails to remind me of Avenged Sevenfold's 'A Little Piece of Heaven' which both sounds like you're in a circus. The use of a synth can be heard here, which was never heard in Radke's previous album in EtF.

This album served as a great counter-attack to EtF, and I think it hit'em hard. You'll be having fun and thinking you're jumping around when listening to this album. This is just proof that Ronnie Radke truly is the 'King of the Music Scene'

-Mikey McMike

No comments:

Post a Comment